Apple Blueberry Crisp
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup unbleached white pastry flour*
½ cup brown rice flour
½ cup walnuts, chopped coarsely
⅛ teaspoon sea salt
5 T safflower oil
3 T maple syrup
3 apples, cored and cut into slices
1 cup blueberries
¾ cup apple juice
1 T kuzu
1 t vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients including walnuts in a mixing bowl.
- Add safflower oil and mix using a fork, then mix in maple syrup. Continue mixing with your hands until the mixture crumbles.
- In a separate bowl, pour the apple juice. Then add kuzu, a pinch of salt and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly until kuzu has dissolved completely.
- Core the apples and cut into thin slices. Place the apple slices in a Pyrex glass casserole dish, then layer the blueberries on top.
- Pour the apple juice mixture over the top of the apples and blueberries, then place the crumbles evenly on top of that.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30-40 minutes at 350°F.
- Remove foil and bake until surface becomes golden–about 10 more minutes.
*If you are gluten-free, substitute with brown rice flour.
Recipe provided by Chef Sachi Kato. For more of Chef Sachi’s recipes visit www.macrobiotic.sachikato.com