Vegan Bran Muffins with Raisins (Gluten Free)
Makes about 8-10 muffins
After many trials of making crumbling gluten free muffins, this recipe finally
evolved into a delicious gluten free take on the classic raisin bran muffin, with a
nice non-crumble texture. These fiber rich muffins make tasty treats, especially for
children and those who like baked goods that are not too sweet. The moisture and
sweetness of the raisins will be infused into the muffins the next day, too.
2 cups gluten free oat flour
1 cup gluten free oat bran
3-4 tablespoons coconut sugar (adjust to your desired sweetness level)
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
Flaxseed Egg (3 tablespoons flaxseed meal mixed with 6 tablespoons water)*
1 cup non dairy milk
1⁄2 cup safflower oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup raisins
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a muffin pan by placing muffin cups.
- Whisk all the DRY ingredients in large bowl until well combined.
- Make Flaxseed Egg by mixing 3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds and 6
tablespoons water. Set aside until the mixture thickens for 5 minutes.
- Vigorously whisk the rest of the WET ingredients until well emulsified. Add
Flaxseed Egg into the mixture and mix well.
- Pour WET mixture into the DRY mixture and mix with spatula. Add raisins
and mix until well combined.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20
minutes, rotating muffin pan halfway through baking.
- Let muffins cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and
let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Chef’s note: It is best to make your own flaxseed meal. Simply grid flaxseeds
in a spice grinder until it becomes a fine meal. If you have leftover, put it in an
air tight container and store in refrigerator. It will keep up to 3 months.