Basic brown rice
1 ½ cup brown rice
3 cups water
2 pinches of sea salt
- Rinse rice and soak in 3 cups water 3-5 hours or overnight.
- Measure the discarded soaking water, and place the same amount of fresh water in a pot with the rice.
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat and add 2 pinches of sea salt.
- Cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir lightly with a wooden spoon.
Creamy Millet Porridge with Cauliflower
1 ½ cup millet
6 cups water
⅛ t sea salt
2 cups bite size cauliflower florets
¾ cup shredded mochi
Sliced scallions for garnish
- Rinse millet and place it in 6 cups water and soak for 6 hours or overnight.
- Place millet and soaking water in a pot, cover and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the salt and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the grated mochi and cook for 5 minutes or until mochi has melted.
- Garnish with sliced scallions.
Fried Pasta with Vegetables
2 cups brown rice pasta
1 T sesame or olive oil
*½ clove garlic, minced (optional)
½ cup onion, diced
½ cup celery, sliced on a thin diagonal
½ cup carrots, cut into matchsticks
½ cup summer squash, sliced into half moons
1 cup bok choy or seasonal greens, chopped into bite-size pieces Scallions and nori strips for garnish
2 T water
1 t lemon juice
2-3 t shoyu or tamari
1 t toasted sesame oil
- Cook pasta as per package.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil a skillet.
- Add onions and sauté for 3 minutes,
- Then add celery and cook for 1 minute.
- Add carrots and cook for 1 minute.
- Add summer squash and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cooked pasta and mix gently.
- Add dressing and bok choy and gently mix everything together.
- Serve with scallions and nori strips for garnish.
*If you are using garlic, add garlic after sautéing the onions.
1 cup polenta
4 cups water
⅛ teaspoon of sea salt
1 – 2 cloves garlic, sautéed in 1 T olive oil
½ cup onions, sliced in thin quarter moons
⅓ cup frozen or fresh corn
½ T dried sage or dried basil
Pinch of dried thyme
Safflower, grape seed or sunflower oil for frying
- Heat 1 T olive oil in a small pan and sauté garlic on medium-low heat for 30 seconds, stirring constantly and being careful not to burn the garlic.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil with the sea salt. Add polenta, onions, garlic, corn and spices and whisk together until smooth.
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat stirring occasionally to prevent clumps.
- Place the pot on a flame tamer. Turn flame to low and simmer, covered for 30-35 minutes.
- Pour into a 9×12 dish and let cool.
- Cut the set polenta into squares.
- Heat safflower, grape seed or sunflower oil in a heavy pan.
- Pan fry polenta squares for 4-5 minutes on each side until lightly brown.