Butternut Squash Orange Bisque
1 large butternut squash, cut into halves
1 medium onion, diced (1 1/2 cup)
1 T olive oil
2 cups vegetable stock or water
1/2 t cinnamon powder (optional)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 t sea salt or to taste
Parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Coat the butternut squash halves with olive oil, and roast them cut side up on a baking sheet for about 30 minutes until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a heavy pot, add onions with a few pinches of sea salt, sauté the onion until they turn translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Scoop out the meat of the baked squash and place on top of the onion.
- Add about 2 cups vegetable stock to cover the squash. Sprinkle cinnamon on top, if using. Simmer for about 30 minutes until everything is tender.
- Remove from flame, blend into creamy texture with a blender, food processor, Vitamix or immersion blender.
- Place the pot back on the stove over low heat, add sea salt and orange juice, and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with chopped parsley for garnish.
Miso with onion, daikon, bok choy
1 inch piece of wakame
¼ cup daikon, sliced into thin half rounds
¼ cup onions, cut in thin half moons
1 cup bok choy, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 cups water
3 level teaspoons of brown rice or barley miso
green onion, thinly sliced for garnish
- Rinse and soak wakame until tender in a small dish of water.
- Place wakame with the soaking water and onions in a small saucepan with 1 cup water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Let boil for 3 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add the daikon and the rest of the water and boil for 3-5 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the miso paste in a bowl with a small amount of soup water and mix until dissolved.
- Turn soup to low (so it is simmering, not boiling) and pour diluted miso into the soup, mixing gently.
- Add bok choy and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped scallion.
Place cooked mochi in your serving bowl, then pour hot soup over the mochi and serve.
1 cups green lentils, rinsed and drained
5 cups water
1 inch piece of kombu
2 inch piece of wakame, torn into smaller pieces or 1 t wakame flakes
1 T olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 stick celery, diced
2 dried shiitake, soaked in ¾ cup water and diced
1 carrots, diced
1 T shoyu
2 t ginger juice*
- Soak the shiitake in ¾ cup water until soft, then dice.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat, and sauté the onion until soft.
- Add the celery and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the sautéed vegetables, shiitake, shiitake soaking water, kombu, wakame, lentils and 5 cups water in a pot. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the shoyu and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the ginger juice.
- Served garnished with chopped parsley.
*To obtain 1 T ginger juice, grate a 2-3 inch piece of ginger and squeeze out the juice.